Duane Ruth-Heffelbower, Attorney and Counselor at Law, mediator, arbitrator and facilitator in all disputes. Retirement July 31, 2015 from FPU as Associate Professor of Peacemaking and Conflict Studies, School of Humanities, Religion and Social Sciences; faculty in Graduate Academic Program in peacemaking and conflict studies; faculty in the Criminology and Restorative Justice Studies degree completion program; faculty in the School of Business Leadership Studies MA program.
Direct phone 559.281.2660
Attorney admitted to the California Bar in 1974, businessman, victimologist, professional mediator, facilitator and intervention specialist since 1985. Pastor, trained and experienced counselor, teacher of alternative dispute resolution, program developer. Thousands of cases handled as advocate, mediator, arbitrator or facilitator in everything from schoolyard fights to international disputes between governments. Thousands of people trained in conflict resolution on five continents in over a hundred languages with a specialty in inter-religious and cross-cultural disputes. Advanced Practitioner member of the Association for Conflict Resolution Family Section. Serve as a settlement officer in Fresno County Superior Court. Hobbies include playing 12-string acoustic guitar, singing, backpacking, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing and Web authoring. Served in Indonesia August 1999 through December 2001 under Mennonite Central Committee at Universitas Kristen Duta Wacana in Yogyakarta, Indonesia, where he was a member of Pusat Studi dan Pengembangan Perdamaian (Center for the Study and Promotion of Peace). He also served as Director of Peace Programs for Mennonite Central Committee Indonesia and can work in the Indonesian language. His wife of over 40 years directs Circles of Support and Accountability - Fresno, Inc. re-entry program for paroled sex offenders, and is Conference Minister for Pacific Southwest Mennonite Conference.
- M.Div., 1988, emphasis in counseling and dispute resolution, Associated Mennonite Biblical Seminary, Elkhart, IN
- J.D., 1974, Golden Gate University School of Law, San Francisco, CA
- B.A., 1970, English literature, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS
- California Standard Designated Teaching Credential for Adult Education in the Field of Law - Life
- California Community College Instructor Credential in the Subject Matter of Law - Life
Recent Courses Offered
- Traditional undergraduate
- PS 372 Introduction to Alternative Dispute Resolution (online)
- Criminology and Restorative Justice Studies degree completion program
- CRIM 360 Criminal Procedure
- CRIM 410 Criminal Evidence (online)
- CRIM 440 Advanced Criminal Law (online)
- Peacemaking and Conflict Studies graduate academic program
- PACS 700 Basic Institute in Conflict Management and Mediation
- PACS 710 Introduction to Alternative Dispute Resolution (online)
- PACS 739 Institute in Establishing a Mediation Practice (tutorial)
- PACS 756 Intro Practicum in Mediation (tutorial)
- PACS 757 Restorative Justice Clinic
- PACS 758 Advanced Mediation (seminar)
- PACS 760 Mediation and the Law (tutorial)
- PACS 762 Family Mediation
- PACS 767 Peacebuilding and Development (tutorial)
- PACS 790 Integrative Seminar
- Leadership Studies MA program
- LEAD 721 Conflict, collaboration and negotiation
Current research interests
- Restorative practices applied in other than criminal justice settings
- Anarchist criminology - Provost Faculty Scholarship recipient
- Inter-religious conflict
- Peacebuilding and development
- Workplace conflict
Fresno Pacific University committee and other service
- Faculty Session 1996 - 2009
- Vice-chair (convener) 2006 - 2009
- Secretary, Faculty Exec 2004 - 2006
- Coordinator of faculty prayers 2004-2005
- Faculty Senate formation committee 2009
- Web Committee 1996 - 2005
- Campus Cruiser Committee 2002 - 2010
- Publisher and editor of WASC report on CD-ROM 2003
- Program Director Leadership and Organizational Studies MA program 2003 - 2007
- Academic Director Peacemaking and Conflict Studies MA program 2004 - 2014
- President's Council 2004 - 2009
- University Personnel Committee 2003 - 2006
- Graduate Academic Committee 2005 - 2007
- Institutional Review Board 2005 - 2015
- Discernment committees for those experiencing divorce
- Faculty evaluation committees
[Complete publications list]
- "Law, religion and Amish-on-Amish violence." Reviewing Renegade Amish: Beard Cutting, Hate Crimes, and the Trial of the Bergholz Barbers. Journal of Church and State, Summer 2015.
- "Freedom of speech and duck calls" published online 12/16/2013 as an FPU Scholars Speak article http://blogs.fresno.edu/academics/2013/12/26/freedom-of-speech-and-duck-calls/.
- "The mediator is in - the courthouse" in The Bar Bulletin v.36 no. 10 November 2013, p. 6.
- Issue editor ACResolution Magazine Spring 2013, vol. 2, no. 2.
- "Mediation in the probate court" in ACResolution Magazine Spring 2013, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 17-18.
- "Equality is not justice" originally produced as a FPU Scholars Speak article, March 12, 2012, published by the newly renamed Mennonite World Review April 2, 2012.
- "I'm a ________ mediator: How mediators' profession of origin affects their practice" in ACResolution Magazine Winter 2012.
- Review published in the September 2011 American Society of Victimology online journal Research to Practice of Fehr, R., Gelfand, M., & Nag, M. (2010). "The road to forgiveness: a meta-analytic synthesis of its situational and dispositional correlates." Psychological Bulletin, American Psychological Association (136) 5, 894-914.
- After We're Gone: A Christian Perspective on Estate and Life Planning for Families that Include a Dependent Member with a Disability 3d print edition published July 2011. Available from MennoMedia and Amazon.com. The Christian Leader excerpted the book in its Oct-Nov 2012 online edition at http://www.usmb.org/planning-for-a-disabled-childs-adult-life.
- "Anarchist Criminology: a new way to understand a set of proven practices" a paper presented at the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences annual conference in Toronto March 2011.
- Published August 2010: The Promise of Restorative Justice: New Approaches for Criminal Justice and Beyond John Dussich and Jill Schellenberg, eds. Prof. Ruth-Heffelbower has three chapters in the book: Restorative Justice in Disaster Management, Solutions for Business Conflicts, and Innovations in Correctional Settings with frequent collaborator Mario Gaboury.
- "Do armed citizens deter crime?" published as a Fresno Pacific University Scholars Speak article January 12, 2010.
- What happens after we're gone? Estate and life planning for families in which a dependent member has a disability or mental illness. 3d edition published online. This slightly updated 2009 edition is in the process of revision for a 4th edition due out July 2011.
- Articles "Alternative dispute resolution" and "Mediation" in Janet K. Wilson, ed. Praeger Handbook of Victimology. Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, LLP, 2009. Available through Amazon.com.
- "I thought about it" published as a Fresno Pacific University Scholars Speak article January 7, 2009. The article explores the use of conspiracy convictions in the war on terror.
- "Love and power" published as a Fresno Pacific University Scholars Speak article October 15, 2008. It explores the giving and taking of love and power. Published in Salt Fresno Magazine V.7, No.3 March 2010, p. 16.
- "Victim-Offender Programs in Correctional Settings: Can They Effectively Bridge Divergent Perspectives?" With Mario Gaboury in Laura J. Moriarty (Ed.), (2008) Controversies in Victimology, 2nd Edition. Cincinnati, OH: Anderson Publishing Company.
- "Pit bulls, bad knees and neighborliness: what price personal safety?" Published as a Fresno Pacific University Scholars Speak article January 29, 2008. Published by the Christian Leader March 2008, p. 10. Published by the Fresno Bee under the title "Peacemaker struggles in his own life" March 9, 2008. Published by the Wasco Tribune February 6, 2008 and the Fowler Ensign April 16, 2008. Published by Mennonite Media in its online Third Way Café December 5, 2008 under the title "Pit Bulls, Bad Knees and Neighborliness". Published by Our Faith Digest under the title "Pit Bulls and Conflict Resolution: when good decisions don't work out so well."
- "Research reflections: Learning to improve therapeutic and other practices." Justice Connections Winter 2007. The journal is a joint publication of the International Association for Restorative Justice Dialogue and the Practitioners Research and Scholarship Institute.
- "Corrections-Based Victim Service and Restorative Justice Programs," book chapter with Mario Gaboury, President of the American Society of Victimology, in Moriarty, Laura J. and Jerin, Robert A. (2007) Current Issues in Victimology Research, 2d ed., Durham, NC: Carolina Academic Press, pp. 289-308.
- "The McDonald's theory of conflict prevention: Peace through franchising" in Fresno Pacific University's Scholars Speak publications July 26, 2007. Also Published in The Fresno Bee as "McDonald's theory of conflict prevention" August 4, 2007. Published in The Reedley Exponent August 2, 2007.
- "The carnage in . . ." a response to the Virginia Tech shootings, in Fresno Pacific University's Scholars Speak publications April 23, 2007. Also Published in The Lemoore Advance April 26, 2007 and Mennonite Weekly Review April 30, 2007.
- "Divorce without war: collaborative law" in Fresno Pacific University's Scholars Speak publications February 12, 2007
- "Reliving WWII - lessons for the children of all warriors" in Fresno Pacific University's Scholars Speak publications January 30, 2007. A variation published in the Mennonite Weekly Review February 12, 2007, the Madera Daily Tribune
February 5, 2007, and the Arvin Tiller, Shafter Press, February 7, 2007.
- "Repairing the Military Commissions Act" in Fresno Pacific University's Scholars Speak publications December 18, 2006.
- "Incomprehensible forgiveness: lessons from the Amish" in Fresno Pacific University's Scholars Speak publications October 16, 2006.
- "Joys and pains of living in the worldwide neighborhood" in Fresno Pacific University's Scholars Speak publications June 6, 2006.
- "CPT kidnapping shows new reality for peace work" in Mennonite Weekly Review online edition December 13, 2005 and December 19 print edition. Taken from FPU Scholars Speak article published by FPU December 12, 2005 "International service in a changed world:
Kidnapped CPT members show new reality."
- "Want justice? Listen to the victim: Central Valley a leader" in Fresno Pacific University's Scholars Speak publications December 5, 2005.
- "Execution ends the chance for redemption: Victims cannot heal" in Fresno Pacific University's Scholars Speak publications November 29, 2005. A reflection on the execution of Tookie Williams.
- "Direct and indirect communication in family mediation" in ACResolution Summer 2005.
- "Mennonite Patriotism" sermon delivered July 3, 2005 at North Baltimore (MD) Mennonite Church.
- Book review of Louder Than Words by Penda Hair, Journal of The Community Development Society, Volume 34, No. 1, pp. 130-131, 2004.
- "Restorative Justice for Nation Building: Reconciliation of People Groups" in Proceeding of the International Seminar on Restorative Justice, 16th to 19th December 2003 at Peshawar, Pakistan.
- "Using RJ Principles to Build Peace Between Christians and Muslims" in ACResolution v. 3 n. 4 Summer 2004.
- Book review of Peacemaking: Practicing at the Intersection of Law and Human Conflict by Douglas E. Noll in ACResolution v. 3 n. 4 Summer 2004.
- "Solving the Problem of Violence" in Direction Vol. 32 No.1 Spring 2003, pp. 61-74.
- "Local Capacities for Peace Meets Conflict Resolution Practice" in Journal of Peacebuilding and Development, v.1, no. 1, 2002, pp. 85-97. The journal is a joint publication of the Center for Global Peace of American University and South North Centre for Peacebuilding and Development, Harare, Zimbabwe. The full text of the article is available free on our website by arrangement with the publisher.
- "Restorative Justice: The Journey" in Conciliation Quarterly vol. 21, no. 4, Fall 2002. Article explores use of the Internet in restorative justice.
- "Indonesia: Out of One, Many?" in Fletcher Forum of World Affairs of the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University, Vol. 26:2, Summer/Fall 2002, pp.223-238.
- "Post-9-11 Reflections on the Response of Indonesian Muslims" in the Mennonite Central Committee Peace Office Newsletter April-June 2002, p. 4.
- One of the four authors of Transforming Conflict in Your Church: A Practical Guide edited by Marlin E. Thomas, Herald Press 2002.
- "Reconciling Injustices: A Process for Indonesia."Islamic Millennium Journal, vol. 1, no. 1, Sept.-Nov. 2001, pp. 56-62.
- Ruth-Heffelbower, Duane, ed. Pemberdayaan untuk Rekonsiliasi edisi kedua direvisi dan diperluas (Empowering for Reconciliation 2d edition Revised and Expanded). Yogyakarta, Indonesia: Duta Wacana University Press, 2000.
- Conflict and Peacemaking Across Cultures: Training for Trainers. Fresno: Fresno Pacific University, 1999.
- "Human Rights"in The Mennonite Encyclopedia volume 5, 1990. Also available as Ruth-Heffelbower, Duane. (1989). "Human Rights." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 5 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Human_Rights&oldid=88124
- "What Does it Mean to be Church Based?" in VORP Organizing: A Foundation in the Church, by Ron Claassen and Howard Zehr, Mennonite Central Committee, 1989.
- Complete publications list
Selected Professional Presentations
- "Reframing: from skill to artistry" at the Association for Conflict Resolution annual conference in Cincinnati October 10, 2014.
- "Establishing a probate mediation program in the court." ACR Elder Decision Making and Conflict Resolution Section webinar March 19, 2014, with Mari Henson and Donald Fischer.
- At the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences annual meeting in Philadelphia February 2014 participated in the panel Applying a Critical Lens to Theories of Violence and Anarchy, presenting a paper titled "Implementing Anarchist Criminology: from theory to practice."
- "Reframing: from skill to artistry" at the Association for Conflict Resolution annual conference in Minneapolis October 9-11, 2013.
- "Developing a degree completion program in criminology and restorative justice studies" with Jill Schellenberg at the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences annual meeting in Dallas, TX March 2013.
- "Role for Restorative Justice in Disaster Management" at the Association for Conflict Resolution annual conference in New Orleans September 15, 2012
- At the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences annual meeting in Toronto March 2011 chaired the panel: "Pushing the boundaries: critical examinations of the roles of ideology, anarchist systems of belief, and paradigmatic functions of human rights dignity in modern-day systems of government and culture" and presented the paper "Anarchist Criminology: a new way to understand a set of proven practices."
- "The place of victimology in the criminology curriculum" as part of a panel at the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences annual meeting in San Diego, CA February 25, 2010.
- "Restorative Justice: Community healing through dialogue" a panel discussion at the 4th annual conference of the Institute for Urban Policy Research at the University of Texas at Dallas October 16, 2008. Other participants were Asst. Profs. Arrick Jackson and Ashley Blackburn of the University of North Texas and Cindy Brignon, Victim Services Coordinator for the County of Dallas.
- "Conflict and Peacemaking Across Cultures" a fifteen hour training for Vineyard Missions annual leaders' retreat in Colorado Springs September 2008.
- "Engaging victims of minor crimes in victim offender dialogue processes" at the joint conference of Victim Offender Mediation Association and the American Association of Community Justice Professionals in Miami, FL June 2007.
- "Engaging victims of minor crimes in victim offender dialogue processes" with Noelle Daoudian and closing plenary panelist on the theme of trends in victimology at the fifth symposium of the American Society of Victimology, Baltimore, MD, April 2007.
- Panelist at an educational forum on The Military Commissions Act of 2006 moderated by Jeffery G. Purvis, James K. And Carol Sellers Herbert Professor Of Constitutional Law, Sunday, December 10 at San Joaquin College of Law, Clovis, CA sponsored by The La Raza Student Association and Peace Fresno. News report.
- "Reframing From Skill to Artistry: How to Use Reframing to Transform a Mediation Session." A skill building workshop for advanced mediators on reframing at Association for Conflict Resolution annual conference in Philadelphia, PA, October 2006.
- Panelist with Dr. Glen Kercher, Sam Houston State University; and John Sage, Executive Director, Bridges to Life "Giving Victims a Voice" Texas Public Policy Foundation, Austin, TX, September 12th, 2006
- "Engaging victims of minor crimes in healing processes" at the 4th Annual Symposium of the American Society of Victimology at Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, Texas, March 2006.
- "Rukun: the Javanese vision of harmony" at the Victim Offender Mediation Association annual conference in Philadelphia, PA, October 2005.
- "Conflict Between Refugees and Receiving Communities: Lessons Learned and a Proposed Conflict Resolution Methodology" at the Association for Conflict Resolution annual conference in Minneapolis, MN September 2005.
- "Conflict in the workplace" for over 300 faculty and staff of San Joaquin Valley College in four locations.
- "Victim Offender Dialogue Refusals: Avoiding the 'No'" at the American Society of Victimology 3rd annual symposium April 29, 2005 at Fresno, CA.
- Co-presenter with Ann Warner Roberts, Sr. Fellow at U. Minnesota, "Restorative Justice 101" double session at Association for Conflict Resolution annual conference in Sacramento, CA, September 2004. Also participated in session "Sharing the Wisdom of Experience: Great Conversations between Veteran Mediators" and the session "A Restorative Justice Journey: The Fresno Model."
- "Reconciling Injustices" at the American Society of Victimology's Second Symposium on Victimology at Washburn University in Topeka, KA June 2004
- "Restorative Justice for nation building: reconciliation of people groups" presented at the International Seminar on Restorative Justice in Peshawar, Pakistan, December 2003.
- "Restorative justice training across cultures" at the 20th annual Victim Offender Mediation Association international conference in Nashville, Tennessee November 2003.
- "Macro Level Restorative Justice:. Reconciliation of people groups" presented at the Association for Conflict Resolution annual conference at Orlando, Florida, October 16, 2003.
- Leadership and Conflict training for church leaders at Quezon, Palawan, Philippines.
- "Conflict resolution where there is no law" to the Tulare County (California) Bar Association January 16, 2003.
- "Building the Restorative Faith Community: Lessons from Indonesia". Presented at the 9th Annual Restorative Justice Conference at Fresno Pacific University October 26, 2002.
- "Restorative Justice for Emerging Democracies: Macro application of RJ in cases of societal breakdown" at the Victim Offender Mediation Association annual conference in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, September 26, 2002.
- "Restorative Justice for Criminal Offenses and Child Dependency" presentation at the Association for Conflict Resolution annual conference in San Diego, CA, August 24, 2002.
- "The Victim: Mistreatment and Its Impact" for the Ombudsman Services of Northern California All-Staff Retreat May 2002.
- "Rukun: Lessons in Family Harmony from Java" at Association for Conflict Resolution Family Section annual conference in Savannah, GA March 2, 2002.
- "Reconciliation Perspective on West Papuan Political and Human Rights Problems." Paper presented at the UEM Workshop on the Role of Churches in Human Rights Advocacy Hotel Irian Biak - West Papua: September 5, 2000.
- "Indonesia: Restorative Justice for Healing a Divided Society." Paper presented to Just Peace? conference in Auckland, New Zealand, April 26, 2000.
- Kursus Resolusi Konflik Bagi Generasi Muda (A Course in Conflict Resolution for the Younger Generation) training for university and high school student activists from the city of Solo which has been plagued by riots. Sponsored by Forum Salatiga in Bandungan, Java, December 17-19, 1999
- Konflik dan Menciptakan Perdamaian Lintas Budaya (Conflict and Peacemaking Across Cultures, Indonesian language version) training for staff and partners of Christian Reformed World Relief Organization, Salatiga, Java, November 19-20, 1999
- "Conflict & Peacemaking Across Cultures: Training for Trainers" as a four day workshop June 1999 at FPU
- "Conflict & Peacemaking Across Cultures: Training for Trainers" as a three day workshop prior to the November 1998 federal Office of Refugee Resettlement annual Conference in Washington, DC
- "Uses of the Internet in Refugee Resettlement" at the Office of Refugee Resettlement annual conference November 1998
- "Conflict and Peacemaking Across Cultures" at the California statewide Refugee Information Exchange Conference October 1998. A report on the federally funded research project for which Prof. Ruth-Heffelbower was Project Officer.
- "Fundraising 101" at the annual conference of the Victim Offender Mediation Association in Phoenix, AZ, September 1998.
- "Mobilizing the faith community when starting a new Victim Offender Reconciliation Program" at Victim Offender Mediation Association annual conference 1998
- "Family Group Conferencing" at the national conference of the Academy of Family Mediators in San Francisco, June 1998
- "Handling Conflict in Cultural and Social Values" Office of Refugee Resettlement Iraqi Refugee Initiative conference in Detroit, MI May 1998
- "Conflict Resolution: Techniques and Practice" (half-day seminar) at the IRSA National Conference in Washington, DC May 1998
- "Internet Resources for Refugee Service Providers" at the IRSA National Conference in Washington, DC May 1998
- "Conflict Resolution Programming for Resettlement Agencies" at the IRSA National Conference in Washington, DC May 1998
- "Conflict and Peacemaking Across Cultures" at "Meeting on Common Ground: Supporting Refugee and Immigrant Children's Education" at San Diego State University May 1998
- "Current Restorative Justice Legislation in California" at the Central Coast Conference of the Children's Service Network 1997